Do you have a water heater? When you heard hot water heater knocking, you have to know the best way to solve it. Knocking sound may be so annoying for some people because it is so noisy. What is the cause of it and how to solve it? You can find the answer below.
What is the Cause of Knocking Noise of Hot Water Heater?
Having water heater is so useful. People who like bathing with hot water is very helped by water heater. Water heater provides hot or warm water for every people who need it.
So, people don’t need to do difficult steps when they want to take a bath using hot water. But, sometime water heater can cause some problems, such as knocking noise.
For people who have used water heater for long time, they may face this problem. They usually heard knocking noise comes from their water heater.
What is the cause of it? Actually, knocking noise can be caused by sediment. The sediment comes from the bottom part of tank, and it finally creates noise when the water heater turned on.
Many people confuse about how to solve knocking noise comes from water heater. They also don’t know about the cause of it. The sediment that place on the bottom part of tank can be solved by flushing. Yes, flushing tank water heater is a simple method to solve knocking nose of water heater. With flushing, you will not hear knocking noise anymore.
How to Solve Knocking Noise of Water Heater
As mentioned before, water heater needs flushing to be in condition. How to do flushing? Here are the steps you can follow:
- Before doing the first step, you can put on heavy-duty gloves to avoid burning yourself. After that, turn off your water heater. Turn cold water shut off valve. It is also important to avoid cold water entering water heater.
- Let the hot water to cool down for about 30 minutes. After that, you can connect drain valve on the bottom part of water heater with a garden hose.
- Find other end of garden hose and place it at the area where water and sediment can safely drain to. To prevent vacuum from forming in the lines, you have to open hot water faucet in a tub or sink.
- Find the drain valve of water heater and open it by turning small slot on the valve. On the pressure relief valve, pull the tab out. After that, let all water drain out perfectly.
- Turn on the cold water valve to flush sediment. If you have seen clear water drain out, close the drain valve and let cold water to fill water heater tank.