Are you going to drain your water heater? The step for draining your water heater can be so easy and fast. Then, how long does it take to drain a water heater by your own? Water heater draining is important maintenance for your water heater tank.
All over time when we use water heater, then there are little things that come together with water accumulate in bottom of water heater. The tank will corrode and these little bit of corrosion will join with the rest of buildup deposits in the bottom of tank.
To drain your water heater, you will need tools such as:
- Old towel
- Flathead screwdriver
- Garden hose.
Here are the step for complete your water heater draining. First thing that you need to do is check T&P valve. This is Temperature and Pressure relief valve measurement.
This due to reason, when your T&P is going in bad, then you might need to change in same time as you drain your water heater tank if possible. Next is a start to drain your water heater.
- For gas water heater, turn burner control knob, push down but still in control so it will turn down slowly. You will see the indicator on the knob front for confirm the option you choose. Remember that it is important for you to notice whether the knob is notched out. When the notch is out, the red pilot can push down this means that you are in right way.
- Have electric water heater? Turn the breaker supplying power into “off” in the panel. Prepare the hose. Turn on the hot water side from kitchen sink to speed up the process. When the burner still off, this will rid of hot water and replace into tank with cool water. Hook the hose to water heater drain valve and then route it into drainage point.
- Shut off the cool water that coming. Hopefully, you have installed cold water line in beyond of the tank so you can do drainage without shutting of water to whole house. If you do not have, then locate where the main water line enter to the home and shut down the cold water from there.
- Open the drainage valve on the water heater tank. The water discharge is depending to hose length that you run.
- The last step, wait. Wait the tank for drain by itself. You can do other else until it get finished.