The general water heater strap code that water heater should consist of two straps to secure the water heater. The purpose of the water heater strap is to prevent the water heater from getting backward tipped. The unsecured water heater can lead to gas connections and rupture of rigid water.
The Uniform Plumbing Code has seismic safety straps that hold since 1982. The water heater strap’s purpose is to prevent and secure from fire, unit explosion, or water damage that can occur when the heater falls fall over that caused by the earthquake.
Initially, the water heater strap code says that the water heater needs to be strapped to withstand the displacement that the earthquake can cause.
However, there are no installation standards for the water heater straps method. The method should meet the water heater code, with the procedures completely dependent on the individual to complete the installation.
There are basic effective water heater straps such as:
- The entire water heater type should be strapped, whether it is electric or gas
- Two straps needed to set, one in the upper 1/3 and one in the lower 1/3 of the fixture
- The straps can consist of plumber’s tape or ½ inch diameter of metal conduit
- The straps should wrap an entire way around the water heater body.
- The straps should be adjacent to the wall, secured, and opposed from directions.
- The straps should be anchored to the wall studs and make a lag bolt that length about 3-inch length and ¼ inch diameter.
Besides, you also need to ensure that your straps have been installed in the right methods. The procedure for strapping the water heater has been modified enough to provide security and protection. Many water heater tanks broke through the water heater strapping in 1994 in Los Angeles Earthquake and 1989 San Francisco.
Remember for these two important things when you strap the water heater:
- You need to ensure it has secure in top and bottom
- Use a heavy gauge metal strap is a more effective way rather than using a plumber’s tape.
In areas that potentially with an earthquake disaster, this water heater straps code is critical to do. This will protect you and your family.
Do the checking and also find that the method of installation has relevant to your area installation code. Check for further water heater codes that will prevent you from water heater disaster.