Pipe jacks roofing has many other names, such as plumbing vent boot, pipe boot, and pipe flashing. A pipe jack roof is a waterproof roof preformed flashing used around plumbing drain pipes that penetrate and exit through the roof, just like those vent and electrical service mast pipes.
By reading the roof pipe jack definition above, maybe you have had a slight idea about what roof pipe jack is. Roof pipe jack can protect a vulnerable spot on your rooftop and prevent the leaks dripping from your roof because of the cracking, corroding, or even squirrels.
Table of Contents
Materials for Roof Pipe Vent
Lead for Roof Pipe Vent
Lead pipe jack has been used for decades and proved its durability against the weather and time. This material will survive the majority of asphalt roofing products. It also provides you with trustworthy security when it comes to watertight roof authentication. This material is indeed very popular, but it slightly cost you more money and the squirrels love to chew the boot; which will later cause a hole and leak. If your home area is surrounded by squirrel armies, you may not want to install this pipe jack on your roof.
This metal pipe jack for roof is more stable than the other materials. Most of the metal pipe jack has aluminum base on the upper part that can prevent corrosion from forming in the upper lip. Some even made with flexible materials and has ultraviolet rays, crack, and weather resistant.
Many aluminum based roof pipe jack are flexible and will allow the pipe jack to be able to fit for any kind of roof configuration. The pipe location can be placed in the centered of the panel with the help of some self drilling screw to complete the installation.
Roof Pipe Jack Installation
Pipe jack for roof need to be installed around the vent pipe, which sticks out of the roof, as an additional layer to protect it from weather, corrosion, and squirrel.
- Step 1. Locate the pipe vent on your roof and choose the appropriate pipe jack. Make sure that the roof pipe jack flange fits exactly over the shingles and it should be exposed till overlaps the shingles at least a few inches, but there should not be any gap. It is to make sure that the area around the vent is watertight. Remove the pipe jack and cut the shingles around the vent pipe as close as possible.
- Step 2. Once you have cut the shingles, place the pipe jack back on the vent. Fasten the shingles that overlaps with the pipe jack in place.
- Step 3. Mark the shingle that touches the pipe with a marker. Cut any excess shingle starting from the lower end. Secure the shingles with three or four nails.
- Step 4. Fold down the tops of the pipe jack till the end of the vent pipe. The protective shell is complete with its water resistant.
It is very important to consider the option of materials for roof pipe jack when you want to install one. Take some consideration for the durability, the maintenance, and the cost before performing your pipe jacks roofing.Incoming from Google :
- how to shingle roof around pipe jack,pipe jacks for roofing,what is a pipe jack in roofing