Do you ever experience your hot water heater smells like gas ? When you see this, you might say “oh it smell like leaking gas” and you need to call a professional for help you to solve. As we know that, gas has no smell odor. The chemical content called with mercaptan is added for detect the gas when leaking better.
The chemical has distinct smell and high noticeable when the gas leaked. The gas smell like odor in water heater can linked to several things. What you need to when you deal with this? Here are the steps for you.
First, do not panic. Ensure on what you are smell. If you smell your water heater like sulfur smell or what that called with rotten eggs smell, then this can be signs for leak gas. There are many smells that can result from hot water heater. When you have rotten egg smell in your water heater, this causing by bacteria react to aluminum or magnesium anodes that make corrosive elements due to water.
In this case, means you have problem with hydrogen sulfide in your water and need to replace anode with other type that will not produce this odor. When you have natural gas water heater, then ensure that you have precaution. Before do anything else, it is better for leave home and call the local heating expert.
This professional can determine whether you have leaking gas or not.
The gas leak can fast turn into dangerous problem when you not call the help immediately. Do not turn the gas back until your water heater gas has been repaired or diagnosed that it has no gas leak.
If your water heater problem gets worst, then you might need to buy new water heater. Here are some signs that can help you to identify whether you need new water heater for your family.
- The water come out from water heater look like rusty or have non-clear color.
- The water out is not hot enough or not hot at all.
- The water out has strange odor or it has metallic taste. This is a signs that your water heater is broken down and need to be replaced with the new one.
- There is loud pops and cracks that indicate the heating element is broke fail.
- Your water heater has been 10 years old. Many manufacture that provides warranty for water heater last to 10 years. If you have water heater with 10 years old, then it is close to life expectancy.