How to fix a drafty door? This is probably a question that you need to consider when you are dealing with such a problem. It is possible that there has been a mistake during the construction that causes the door to expand, leaving gaps in between the lines. Never underestimate the issue because it will lead to bigger problem that affects your comfort level.
The Most Common issue with Draft
Not only drafty door makes your home uncomfortable, it also costs you more money. When draft comes to a house, there are different problems that result from the seemingly simple issue. When it happens in winters, it makes your home feel cold and you will have to increase the heating- affecting the heating bills significantly.
Not to mention that it will be uncomfortable too. When it happens in summer, your house will be somewhat hotter although it feels a bit more airy. The hot air entering your house isn’t exactly something nice to experience. One of the most common causes for the drafty door is the poor weathering while the gaps can also result in the air loss. It takes only a little effort and time, and yet you can expect a huge advantage.
The Possible Alternatives
So, how to fix a drafty door? You may be surprised to find that there is more than one way to deal with the problem. Weatherstripping is probably one of the easiest and also most popular ways to deal with the drafty door. The possible ways on how to seal a door frame are:
- Have the new sweeps. It would be so easy to replace the old sweeps with the new ones. If you want to match the door, you can choose the wooden type that can be stained or painted. Be advised that there are different sweeps types, such as drip cap, brush, and heavy duty. If you are completely clues, consult the expert from the hardware store. How to know that a sweep fits you good? Close the door and then measure the length. It is one of the easiest ways that you can have.
- Use the foam tape. The foam tape is quite ideal to weather proof the slightly warped door – or a door that doesn’t have a snug fit. You only need to cut it with the size that you want and secure the drafty area with it.
- Consider using the foil stripping and rigid foam insulation. This alternative bears a medium level of difficulty. If you don’t have any ideas of how to do this, it is advisable that you hire a professional service. Don’t be a know it all and do it on your own.
- Use the window film. Another alternative on how to fix a drafty dooris to use the window film. Apply it like the saran wrap and then use the hair dryer to shrink it. When you put it in the right place, it creates a perfect seal. This method is relatively easy.
You can also use the door snake if you want to have a DIY project but not the difficult one. You should also think about re-caulking the door as one way on how to fix a drafty door
Related Keywords :
- drafty door repair
- how to repair drafty door gap
- repair drafty house door problems